Thursday, December 19, 2013

Kind Remembrances

 
 
 
I finally got the chance to walk across and look for a vintage Christmas postcard.  I didn't have long and I chose this one quickly mainly because I loved the design
and it included a New Year's wish as well. 
 
Only later, at  home, did I read it more closely and discover it was from England.  Both Darlington from where it was sent and Newbiggin, Middleton in Teesdale are in County Durham in England.
 
The year sent is none too clear, but I thought it was 1925.  Christmas that year was on Friday and the card is postmarked on the 23rd. 
 
I had a lovely time just Googling around trying to learn more about the time, place, and that stamp.  That face on the stamp is George V, not the downey head, but a later issue after 1912 (again, I think).  Finding the link to the stamp made me question the date since it seems that postcard postage increased to a full penny in 1918.  So could it be 1915?
 
Reading further I thought it might be 1915 as this site says that WWI shut down German printing presses and postcards that show "Printed in Germany" are before 1915. 
 
Regardless, the wish remains the same. 
Just like E. Redfearn, I wish you all the best for Christmas and the New Year. 
Happy Stringplay, too.